Countdown until I lose it

Thursday, February 16, 2006

What's in a Name?

A few days ago I learned the sex of the baby I am carrying. Yesterday, my brother called to offer a list of names that he and my other family members had come up with. This list of names included Gilbert, Bart, Mullivan, and Lee Harvey. While all of these names really sound good with the last name "Sullivan", I must say that "Mullivan" is my favorite. In fact, I have many memories of wishing that my parents had gone with thier first instinct for my name, "Smellangelo". When I was in middle school I would often write "Smellangelo Dell'Angelo" on the covers of my text books. Sometimes I thought that my adolescence would have been easier if I had a more interesting, rhyming name, like that one. So, part of me is really attracted to "Mullivan".
On the other hand, as someone who was named after someone famous [Tabitha from Bewitched], I also find myself thinking seriously about my brothers other suggestions. Of course, choosing "Gilbert" forces me to give the middle name "and" -- I am not particularly comfortable using an article for a name. However, Bart and Lee Harvey are very attractive options. "Lee Harvey Sullivan" -- I can only imagine what people will say. It really does sound distinguished -- like an author, and artist, or a skilled gunman.
Of course, the baby is not due until July, so we have plenty of time to entertain other options. Please feel free to make suggestions.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Milton! Oscar!

Hehe hey Tab, long time no see. Good to see that one of the greatest house deans ever will become one of the greatest mamas ever!

More names? hmmm...I'm always partial to Zachary or Dorian :-D oh, and Alexander of course :-P


Alex

Andre Stefan said...

unfortunately i see that stefan and andre are not even in the running. puff, puff, hmpf, hmpf.

well since you seem to like the "mu" in mullivan how about samuel sullivan?