Countdown until I lose it

Monday, January 09, 2006

Shut up Katie Couric!

A few years ago I took a class on collecting qualitative data. These data are often used to write ethnographies or in other sociological research. These data include observations, interviews, etc. One of the first things I learned about interviewing was to carefully construct questions to allow the respondent the opportunity to provide as much detail as possible. For instance, you wouldn't ask, "Did you like your mother?", because the respondent could just say "yes" or "no" and then you don't have much information. Rather, you would say something like, "Describe your relationship with your mother." That kind of prompt may open the door to information you hadn't even anticipated -- really rich stuff that could make your study special.
I always imagined that this was the same kind of model that news reporters used for interviewing as well. However, I have noticed over the past few years that some of our [top] news personalities could use a bit of a refresher on how to interview. One particular person jumps out at me -- Katie Couric.
Katie apparently values her own opinions and insights a great deal more than those of the people she interviews. A sample question from Katie goes something like this:

"I would imagine that losing your daughter in such a violent way would be devastating. In other words, having your daughter taken away from you so abruptly must be very difficult, right?"

Although this isn't verbatim, it is awefully close to many Couric interviews. She almost always paraphrases how she thinks the respondent feels and then finishes with a "yes or no" question. Apparently, this is just to confirm the extent to which her own insights are correct.

In addition, she doesn't hesitate to throw in a personal anecdote even when the entire interview may only last 4 minutes. I suppose the American public just can't get enough of Katie, so she feels as a public service she should pre-empt Clint Eastwood, Conde Rice or anyone else to be sure that she provides her viewing audience with information about how she or her daughters feel about an issue.
And one last thing, her overuse of the word "meanwhile" has become an extreme pet peeve of mine. If you haven't noticed, tune in. I promise it will become like nails on a chalkboard in less than a week.
To be sure, I can watch something else. It is my own fault for subjecting myself to awful interviewing techniques, too much lower lid eyeliner and overuse of irrelevant vocabulary. However, I really like Al Roker. What's a girl to do?

2 comments:

flawedperfection said...

I hear you Tab. I notice all the time how she uses that word "Meanwhile". She went through college, she could incorporate more words like "However", "Although", " For instance", "Furthermore", "In addition to". There are many, many words she could use, and most of her interviews are occupied with her just rambling on and on. Matt is a way different interviewer (a la Katie 8 years ago), he's direct, to the point, and rebuttles only when he hears something that isn't accurate.

She probably should get a thesaurus out, and increase her vocabulary, OR learn when to filter her comments to only ask questions and over the top statements.

parsnipgirl said...

Disciples of Al Roker Unite!
Back in the day, I used to watch him on the NYC affiliate of NBC. I was so addicted to his weather forecast that my husband called me a disciple of Al Roker. I was so sorry when he left for the bigtime on Today. I can understand why you put up with Katie to see Al. (Christine B.)