Countdown until I lose it

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Faking it.

Yesterday, for no apparent reason, I tried to pretend I was an interior designer. I brought a photo into Michael's Arts and Crafts to be framed. For some reason, I found myself saying things to the framer like, "this person has a large bare wall where this will be hung". "This person"! ? What is that? Why would I say that?

But, I got this great reaction. "Oh, you're a designer!", the framer exclaimed. She was impressed by me. What could I say? "No, I am actually a college professor who studies education and psychology." Then I really look like I am missing a few screws.

I contemplated my options. I thought I could go at this full George Costanza force. I almost said my name was Art VanDelay. But, instead, I explained that I was not a designer, but just dropping something off to be framed for someone else. This was also a lie, but it seemed like the best compromise in the situation.

Then, for some reason, I mentioned it was a gift. Why? I am not sure? But, as the total for the framing approached $200 the framer couldn't help but notice what a generous gift giver I was. She said so, that I am very generous. Not wanting to be complemented on a complete lie, I added, "Well, I am going in with someone else."

Clearly, I have lost my mind.

1 comment:

flawedperfection said...

Tabby! I love your post. It made me laugh. I often fantasize how I will be this famous model somewhere in Europe, where I would be adored by thousands of men. Perhaps, we can take the denial flight over there together, you can be the starving arti'st and I can be the hot man everyone adores:)