Countdown until I lose it

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Less than perfect

I just finished .my 5th year as a college professor and am rushing up to the beginning of year 6. This year I am officially tenured. With that tenure comes some added responsibilities. But, more than that, the expectation that I know stuff. Sadly, I still feel like the new professor and I don't feel particularly expert at anything. I know this isn't a unique feeling, everyone goes through it. Still, I keep waiting for that day when I wake up and feel completely grounded.
Over the past few weeks I have been reading books, chapters, articles, and novels that are assigned to the incoming students. I've been making notes, ordering books and films, planning events and activities, developing assignments and you would think that all of that planning would ease the anxiety. Instead, I continue to feel uncertain.
One of my former students started a blog very recently called, "the first 180" where he will document his first year as a teacher. That has inspired me to document this year of my own teaching.
So, hold on while you are riveted by the topsy turvy world of my Fall, 2010 semester. I will be teaching a freshman seminar -- Applied Theatre, a graduate course in teacher education, and a senior seminar.

No comments: