Countdown until I lose it

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The power of a nice note


I didn't get a lot of school stuff done today. I did completely purge my closet of clothes that either don't fit or that I haven't worn in a long time. I did read two article that I need for one of my classes. I also answered email and feel generally productive although I still have quite a bit to do in advance of Monday. As today was ending I was feeling a little bit lost, unsure about the plans I have made for this upcoming semester and generally wondering if I make a difference at all. Then, I checked my email.
Recently, I taught a research course in North Jersey. I love teaching research and mentoring students through the research process. It's really one of my true pleasures. But this particular research course is the first in the series of three. And, it's the only one where the students aren't actually working on their projects yet. It is the introduction to everything -- research, themselves, their practice, everything. For five days, 40 hours, they read a ton of theoretical and practical pieces, they journal, they discuss, and they examine and reveal their own biases, philosophies, and motivations. Of the three research courses I like this one the least. I understand it's purpose and I believe it aids in making our students good researchers. But, it feels a bit intrusive and I am not always comfortable doing it.
This past group was somewhat larger than usual. Among the budding researchers were brilliant people, many experienced teachers, a former engineer, one guy, and one girl who I had three times in my courses when she was an undergraduate just a few years ago. I am sure the poor thing had quite enough of me during her time at our college and I felt a little bad for her when I realized this would be her fourth time with me as her professor.
But tonight I received an email from her that said, "All the girls are still quite jealous that I had a class with you! I very much enjoyed your class and am hoping to take 601 and 602 with you in the future. Happy start of the school year!"
The girls to which she is referring are two other former students who are now teachers. I think I had them all 2-3 times when they were undergrads. I am a little bit embarrassed to admit it but, I can't explain how good it feels to have someone tell me that they enjoy being in my class. Teaching is hard for a million reasons. But, if you are even slightly insecure -- if you are someone who needs to know that you are pleasing other people -- teaching is tough. As a teacher, maybe especially a professor, there are very few occasions to receive positive feedback from the people you are most interested in pleasing. Tonight's email was a special treat.

No comments: