Countdown until I lose it

Friday, August 20, 2010

Syllabi Schmyllabi

Today could be a potentially stellar day for finishing up all of my syllabi and being completely prepared for the semester. On the other hand, it's such a tedious task. The part that has me held up now is the calendar. Ironically, as a student, this is the part I love the most. I have to admit that seeing that day-to-day schedule really feels good. From an instructor's standpoint this is a giant pain in the ass. Checking and cross checking the academic calendar with the Jewish calendar with the public school calendar and then my own calendar just makes me cringe.
The truth is that it is not a particularly difficult task. Once I get rolling it is easy and it benefits me just as much as the students. But, I am just feeling blocked and bratty. I would much rather sit around and read - this last day that my son is in camp. Perhaps I am just mourning the loss of summer. I am also a bit disappointed that the summer didn't prove to be as productive as I had hoped. My plan for writing one or maybe even two articles has not come to fruition. I didn't get to visit friends. I didn't even ride my newly tuned up bike. I did go on an amazing vacation.
Enough procrastinating. On to the calendars and finishing touches on the syllabi.

No comments: