Countdown until I lose it

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Facing my shortcomings


During tonight's class I was faced with a student who has a disability for which I am not accustomed. While I am not sure (because she did not disclose), I am guessing she has Tourette's Syndrome. Let me start by saying that I believe that a person with Tourette's can be successful in pursuing just about any career. Susan Conners demonstrated the success of someone in the teaching profession and dealing with Tourette's. However, in my class -- a teacher education class that is the seminar for students who are currently doing their student teaching -- I was caught off guard by this student.
As my students filed in and took their seats I began to notice that one of them had several distinct tics. In addition, she would frequently yell out with loud sounds and grunts. I realized early on that it was involuntary and chose to just ignore it. However, many of her classmates could not. Often, just as someone was getting ready to speak she would let out a loud sound and the speaker would jolt with surprise. The class was visibly uncomfortable with these verbal outbursts.
I wanted to give this student an opportunity to address this so I had each of them share something they were excited about and something that made them nervous about beginning this student teaching experience. I imagined that this particular student might say that she was nervous about how 7 year olds would perceive her. Or maybe, she would mention that it is so hard to keep second graders from being distracted she was nervous that her outbursts would distract them. But instead, she just said that she was nervous about all the work associated with our class and student teaching.
Now about me -- I suck too. I realized upon reflecting on the class that I almost completely ignored her. I was so focused on not paying attention to her outbursts that I have no idea if she ever raised her hand or wanted to speak. For some reason I am feeling very strongly that it would help everyone if she would just disclose what is happening and address the elephant in the room. But, maybe I am wrong. Maybe that is what I need and not really what she needs. I also feel like she should address it with her second graders head on. Am I wrong? I just don't know.

No comments: