Countdown until I lose it

Sunday, September 05, 2010

Week One down! What worked, what didn't?

Applied Theatre
First, I would like to start by saying that I am inappropriately obsessed with whether I should spell theatre or theater. I am going with theatre. I actually think that theater is correct. However, theatre somehow seems more authentic. And, I believe that most people are too intimated to challenge that spelling.
Now, about the class. Our class meets on Fridays from 2p until 5:20p. As you can imagine I was immediately nervous that my students would be resentful about having essentially a Friday night class. Therefore, I feel it is necessary to spend as much time playing as I can. I had planned some games that we could play outside. But, when I saw my students -- one in a dress, quite a few in clothes with which I am guessing they do not want to contact the grass -- I realized I had to make some quick changes. After I asked them to make sure they wear play clothes next week, we engaged in some great games. We basically worked on warm-ups in a circle -- you, name, fruit; bunny, viking, wok; zip, zap, zop and the like. We laughed and the students got to know each other and bond and it was a blast.
We then moved on to the Children's Book assignment which I think is going to turn out quite brilliantly. Last, we did the boring syllabus stuff. But, even that was great because they asked good questions and it forced me to realize items that I thought were written clearly, but clearly weren't.

Internship I
I was blown away about the absences this week. One person was absent on each of the three days. And, let me tell you that we cover a lot of ground each day -- three hours each of collaborative work that can not be made up. I had to lay down the law and give the old, "the requirements of the class don't change based on your ability to meet them" speech. They looked a little bit scared and I was pleased in spite of myself.
We discussed what made a great story by discussing a two great New Yorker articles -- Trailhead and Strangers on the Mountain. We used vintage post cards as prompts to create and tell our own stories, and we paired up to begin creating original lessons. All this, working in part with college students with developmental disabilities. I felt very strong this week with this particular class. I do love graduate students and the enthusiasm with which they participate.

Seminar

My first seminar class -- another scheduling nightmare -- Wednesday night from 5:30 until 8:20 PM! -- turned out to be just OK -- at least from my perspective. We did an activity to bridge into figuring out personal educational philosophies by examining cliches about education (i.e. all children can learn). We shared hopes and fears as student teaching begins. And, of course, we reviewed some parts of the syllabus. Although, I just didn't have the heart to go through all of it. This is also the class with my student who I believe has Tourette's Syndrome. She has agreed to meet with me this week. I have been doing some research on TS and found a woman named Susan Conner who was a teacher for 33 year and also has TS. I learned a lot and sincerely hope that I can support my student so that she can realize her hope of being a successful teacher.

No comments: