Countdown until I lose it

Thursday, September 09, 2010

She said what?


In my class yesterday I was confronted with questions about teaching in the Urban context. Two students in particular pressed me on how to handle "urban language". When I asked for them to give me some examples of what they meant they were intially unable, or maybe unsure about how to phrase what they were thinking.
Two issues emerged, 1. African American Vernacular English, and 2. Values. First, the concern was expressed in terms of "how I was raised" and shouldn't I be able to expect students to act in the way that I think is right. There seemed to be little acknowledgment of the possibility that there could be another version of right in terms of the way a child behaves.
The second issue was around AAVE. I don't even remember what they called it but I just rephrased to a more appropriate terminology. The students seemed dubious when I warned that they should not make a big show of correcting students. I explained that there were times when Standard English would be expected -- writing for example and that expectations about language might change based on the context.
They listened and nodded but I think just because I am the professor. I am not sure I made my argument in a way that welcomed their input. I think I just told them what they are supposed to think. And, I understand that is not very authentic.

No comments: