Countdown until I lose it

Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Accidental Caller

I have many pet peeves. One of my pet peeves is when people ask questions to which they already know the answer. Tonight I heard someone's cell phone ringing. For some reason, they chose not to answer. Instead, a few minutes later they returned the call and immediately asked, "Did you just call me?". I will assume that the person on the other end of the line denied the call because his next statement was, "Really, because I just got a call from this number."
Oh, ok Einstein, then why the hell did you begin by asking the question if you already knew the answer?
This is particularly bothersome to me because I have been in the position where I accidentally dialed a number and just hung up when I realized it. Because of the damn oversensitive touchscreen on my overpriced phone, this happens often. And, because I refuse to clean up my contact list, I may easily dial an ex-boyfriend, former employee, former friend, or someone I plain old just don't even remember. I don't want any of these people calling me back and asking if I " just called them".
Clearly if I did, it was a grievous error on my part. And furthermore, if I wanted to speak with them I would have waiting until they answered or left a message. C'mon, if someone doesn't leave a message asking for a return call -- don't call them back. This seems obvious to me. I love it when people don't leave me messages. First, I don't like listening to long winded ridiculous small talk directed to a machine and second, if you don't leave a message I assume it is not important or that perhaps you dialed my number in error. If it is the latter, why would I choose to make you feel uncomfortable by calling back to ask you why you were calling? Or, if you were calling?

1 comment:

flawedperfection said...

OMG.. Exactly. People are crazy that way. They are so sensitive about the silliest things. We, as a society, need to find things better to do with our time, instead to belittling those who make small errors.