Countdown until I lose it

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Not the hood

Earlier tonight I was picking up Chinese food in a local shopping center. As I walked toward the restaurant, I noticed a group of teenagers hanging out. This town is actually overrun with teens. Most of the girls are shockingly underdressed and the boys look and act like they are dangerous. However, this is a fairly affluent town, so I suspect that it is in fact "an act" -- just some teenage White boy hypermasculinity. Still, I don't want to be near them as it is unnerving.
On my way out of the restaurant I overheard one of the girls saying to one of the boys, "You're not in the f***ing hood, you're in f***ing Doylestown!". I couldn't help but thinking that was the smartest thing I have heard a teen in this town say.
As I pulled out of the parking lot, I noticed another one of the teens walking toward the group with a thick cardboard tray loaded with Starbucks coffee cups. Now I am sure "it's not the f***ing hood."

No comments: