Countdown until I lose it

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Devil causes traffic jams...


Recently I drove from Pennsylvania to Florida and back. Three factors struck me as significant.

1. I-95 is the most uninteresting road ever built.
2. "South of the Border" is a shithole.
3. Radio stations are almost painful to listen to once you get south of Delaware.

First, driving I-95 is aweful. There is absolutely nothing to look at along the way. I was surprised that even the foilage doesn't seem to change along the way. So, when the flood of signs advertising "South of the Border" begin to appear it is appealing. However, the SOB folks are just preying on the boredom of those traveling this desolate highway.
I fell for it and pulled off. I was dreaming of nachos and guacamole. I was greeted by the biggest tourist trap I had ever encountered. There were giant replicas of sombreros, charicatures of Mexican people that the ACLU should definitely see, and establishments that looked like the Board of Health's "don't" list. I was back in my car within 5 mintues and actually looking forward to getting back on I-95.
The last painful variable for this drive was the radio programming. I learned a lot as I flipped through the stations. First, I was offered many different ways to incorporate Jesus into my life. I learned that "in order to make a difference, I have to be a little bit different". This reprise was sung as part of a song encouraging us to make Jesus a bigger part of our life. I also learned that everything that goes wrong in the world, is caused by the devil. Apparently, the devil is the cause of floods, fires, and the traffic jam that was plaguing Route 16 through Georgia on Saturday.
I wonder if I was more accepting of Jesus, I would have missed the traffic jam altogether. In fact, I imagine that I-95 would have become very beautiful and lined with blooming flowers, Rita's water ice every mile, and live bands. In fact, I bet that truly accepting Him into my life would cause South of the Border to completely disappear just like the house at the end of Poltergeist.

1 comment:

flawedperfection said...

I love the new background...:)